New starter medical/pre-placement assessments typically happen at the pre-employment stage to establish a candidate’s fitness for a specific role. However, the Equality Act (2010) has meant that many implications arise from using the process for this purpose. We therefore recommend a new evidence-based approach that helps identify a broader range of health issues with the objective of reducing future illness and injury and ensuring legal compliance.
The process is used to:
- Establish fitness for work and identify the need for specific work conditioning
- Ensure compliance under health and safety legislation and the Equality Act (2010)
- Provide a benchmark of fitness
- Manage any underlying medical conditions
- Encourage a healthy lifestyle