Technically a fruit, the simple courgette has many health benefits.
1. High source of antioxidants: One medium courgette has over 50% of your daily Vitamin C needs, lowering blood pressure and helping to protect against inflammation and clogged arteries.
2. Anti-inflammatory properties: Courgettes contain a good amount of Pectin, a fibre that is beneficial for cardiovascular health and lowering cholesterol. It can also be found in apples and pears.
3. High source of Potassium: Potassium canb help to lower blood pressure because it counteracts the effects of a high salt diet.
4. Helps improve digestion: Providing essential nutrients and electrolytes, courgettes are recommended for digestive issues. They contacin some dietary fibre which can bring natural constipation relief. Make sure you eat the whole vegetaable including the skin and the seeds!
5. Low in calories and carbs: Courgettes are one of the lowest carb-containing vegetables!
6. Helps maintain eye health: Courgettes offer a large amount of Vitamin C, manganese, beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, protecting your retina and cornea from UV light damage and the skin around your eyes too.
7. Energising Vitamin B: High in Vitamin B, courgettes help support a healthy metabolism, aid in cognitive health and help prevent fatigue!